Samar (säˈmär) [key], island (1990 pop. 1,246,722), 5,050 sq mi (13,079 sq km), 3d largest of the Philippines, one of the Visayan Islands, NE of Leyte (from which it is separated by the narrow San Juanico Strait). It has commercial coconut and abaca plantations. There are important lumbering, fishing, and mining industries; iron ore is extracted. S Samar was devastated in 2013 by Typhoon Haiyan.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Samar from Fact Monster:
- Visayan Islands - Visayan Islands Visayan Islands , large island group (1990 pop. 13,794,991), c.24,000 sq mi (62,160 ...
- The Philippines - Philippines, The Philippines, The , officially Republic of the Philippines, republic (2005 est. ...
- Estimated Deaths from Earthquakes, 2003 - Estimated Deaths from Earthquakes, 20031 Date Region Magnitude Number killed2 Jan. 21 Near the ...
- Encyclopedia: Philippines Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Philippines Political Geography.
- Philippines - Learn about the history, geography and culture of the Philippines and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Philippines — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.