San Miguel (sän mēgĕlˈ) [key], city (1993 pop. 118,214), E El Salvador, at the foot of San Miguel volcano (6,996 ft/2,132 m). It has textile, rope, and dairy-products industries. The region produces cotton, henequen, and vegetable oil. San Miguel was founded in 1530. The town was the site of fighting between government troops and local guerrillas in the 1980s.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on San Miguel from Fact Monster:
- - Can't read file new-mexico/san-miguel-county/default.html
- - Can't read file colorado/san-miguel-county/default.html
- Telluride - Telluride Telluride , town (1990 pop. 1,309), seat of San Miguel co., SW Colo., on the San Miguel ...
- Darién, region, Panama - Darién Darién , eastern part of Panama between the Gulf of Darién on the east ...
- Vitoria - Vitoria Vitoria , city (1990 est. pop. 209,506), capital of Álava prov., N Spain, in the ...