Serpukhov (syĕrˈpŏkhəf) [key], city (1989 pop. 143,600), central European Russia, on the Oka River. It is an important textile center. A fortress town since 1339, it retains a stone kremlin (16th cent.), the Church of St. Gregory and St. Dmitri (16th cent.), and the Vysotsk monastery (17th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.