Shipley, town (1991 pop. 28,815), West Yorkshire, N England, on the Aire River. Of its varied industries, light engineering and the manufacture of woolens and worsteds are the most important. Within the district is Saltaire, a model village founded by Titus Salt in 1853 for the manufacture of alpaca.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Shipley from Fact Monster:
- Saltaire - Saltaire: Saltaire: see Shipley.
- Tony Richardson - Tony Richardson director Born: 6/5/1928 Birthplace: Shipley, England Academy Award-winning film and ...
- James Bolger - Bolger, James Bolger, James , 1935–, New Zealand political leader. A sheep rancher, he ...
- Douglas Mawson - Biography of Douglas Mawson, Australian explorer of the Antarctic
- New Zealand: History - History New Zealand has been inhabited since at least A.D. 1000 by Polynesian Maoris. The first ...