Shymkent (shĭmkĕntˈ) [key] or Chimkent chĭmkyĕntˈ, city (1993 est. pop. 404,000), S Kazakhstan, on the Turkistan-Siberia RR. It has large zinc and lead smelters and machine, chemical, and food-processing industries. Founded in the 12th cent., Shymkent was a Kokand fortress before it was taken by Russia in 1864.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Shymkent from Fact Monster:
- Kazakhstan - Kazakhstan Kazakhstan or Kazakstan, officially Republic of Kazakhstan, republic (2005 est. pop. ...
- Turkistan-Siberia Railroad - Turkistan-Siberia Railroad Turkistan-Siberia Railroad, abbreviated as Turk-Sib,important railroad ...
- Chimkent - Chimkent: Chimkent: see Shymkent, Kazakhstan.
- Kazakhstan - Information on Kazakhstan — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: CIS and Baltic Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning CIS and Baltic Political Geography.