Sopot (sôˈpôt) [key], Ger. Zoppot, city (1993 est. pop. 45,400), Pomorskie prov., N Poland, on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Danzig. A seaside resort and tourist center, it had a fashionable gambling casino before World War II. Sopot belonged to the city of Danzig (now Gdańsk) from 1283 to 1807. It passed to Prussia in 1814. Included in the Free City of Danzig in 1919, it was ceded to Poland in 1945. Sopot has schools of economics and music and several theaters.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sopot from Fact Monster:
- Gdynia - Gdynia Gdynia , Ger. Gdingen, city (1994 est. pop. 252,100), Pomorskie prov., N Poland, a port on ...
- Zoppot - Zoppot: Zoppot: see Sopot, Poland.
- Klaus Kinski - Biography of Klaus Kinski, Star of Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God
- Gdańsk - Gdańsk Gdańsk , formerly Danzig, city (1993 est. pop. 466,700), capital of Pomorskie ...
- Encyclopedia: Polish Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Polish Political Geography.