Springs, city, now part of Ekurhuleni metropolitan municipality, Gauteng prov., NE South Africa. It is an industrial center of the Witwatersrand, a gold- and uranium-mining region. Manufacturing has replaced mining in economic importance and includes processed metals, chemicals, paper, and foodstuffs. Springs began to develop after the start (1885) of coal mining nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Springs from Fact Monster:
- spring, in mechanics - spring spring, in mechanics, any of several elastic devices used variously to store and to furnish ...
- spring, in geology - spring spring, in geology, natural flow of water from the ground or from rocks, representing an ...
- Vernal (Spring) Equinox - Spring equinox 2010 date, what happens, traditions, and more.
- Poetry for the Seasons - Poetry hononoring spring, summer, and fall
- Easter Symbols and Traditions - Easter traditions and symbols including eggs, bunnies, and parades.