Terceira (tĕrsāˈrə) [key], island (1991 pop. 59,248), 153 sq mi (396 sq km), in the N Atlantic, one of the central Azores, Portugal. The chief town is Angra do Heroísmo, which gives its name to the district. Grains, cattle, and embroidery are exported, and there is a growing tourist trade. There is a NATO air base there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Terceira from Fact Monster:
- Angra do Heroísmo - Angra do Heroísmo Angra do Heroísmo , town (1991 pop. 11,672), capital of Angra do ...
- Azores - Azores Azores , Port. Açores [Port.,=hawks], islands (1991 pop. 241,592), 905 sq mi (2,344 ...
- Encyclopedia: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography.
- Recent Volcanic Activity - Recent Volcanic Activity (Bold indicates activity in 2007, 2008, and 2009) The following table ...
- Recent Volcanic Activity - Recent volcanic activity around the world.