The Pas (päz, pä) [key], town (1991 pop. 6,166), W Man., Canada, on the Saskatchewan River. Founded as a fur-trading post, it became in 1920 the starting point and headquarters of the Hudson Bay Railway to Churchill and an outfitting point for prospecting and mining expeditions into the northern mineral belt of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. In 1967 the provincial government began the development of a forest products industry in the area.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography