Timmins, town (1991 pop. 47,461), central Ont., Canada, on the Mattagami River. Timmins is the commercial center of the rich Porcupine gold-mining district, where gold was first discovered in 1909. Silver, copper, lead, and zinc are also mined. The town has breweries, pulp, paper, and lumber mills, and a cold-weather automotive testing center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Timmins from Fact Monster:
- Mattagami - Mattagami Mattagami , river, 275 mi (443 km) long, rising in the lake district, E Ont., Canada, SW ...
- Kapuskasing - Kapuskasing Kapuskasing , town (1991 pop. 10,344), central Ont., Canada, on the Kapuskasing River, ...
- John Nance Garner - Garner, John Nance Garner, John Nance, 1868–1967, Vice President of the United States ...
- Broken Hill - Starring Luke Arnold, Alexa Vega, Rhys Wakefield, Timothy Hutton, Che Timmins
- Canada: Economy - Economy Since World War II the development of Canada's manufacturing, mining, and service ...