Truro (trŏrˈō) [key], town (1991 pop. 11,683), central N.S., Canada, near the head of Cobequid Bay, an arm of the Bay of Fundy. It is a railroad and industrial center, with lumber mills, printing plants, and other factories. The Nova Scotia Agricultural College there is the headquarters of the provincial agricultural extension service. An early Acadian settlement called Cobequid, the town was destroyed (1755) when the Acadians were expelled. After 1759 it received settlers from New England and Northern Ireland, who named the town for Truro, England.