Tudela (tōħāˈlä) [key], town (1990 pop. 27,063), Navarre prov., N Spain, in Navarra, on the Ebro River. The surrounding fertile region produces vegetables, fruit, grapes, and olives. There are sugar refineries and varied manufactures. Tudela flourished under the Moors and was later the second city of the kingdom of Navarre and a notable fortress. In a battle nearby, also called the battle of the Ebro, the French won a major victory (1808) in the Peninsular War. There is a fine 12th-century cathedral. The Ebro is crossed at Tudela by an old Roman bridge.