Ujiji (ōjēˈjē) [key], municipality, Kigoma prov., W Tanzania, suburb of Kigoma city, on Lake Tanganyika. Ujiji was an important settlement of Arab and Swahili ivory and slave traders between c.1850 and c.1890. The explorer Henry M. Stanley successfully ended his search for David Livingstone at Ujiji on Nov. 10, 1871. There are fisheries. The town was formerly called Ugoi and was for a time combined with Kigoma into a single municipality.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ujiji from Fact Monster:
- Kigoma - Kigoma Kigoma , municipality, capital of Kigoma prov., W Tanzania, a port on Lake Tanganyika. It is ...
- Encyclopedia: Tanzania Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Tanzania Political Geography.
- David Livingstone - Livingstone, David Livingstone, David , 1813–73, Scottish missionary and explorer in Africa, ...
- Tanzania: History - History Early History In 1959, Dr. L. S. B. Leakey, a British anthropologist, discovered at Olduvai ...
- Tanzania - Tanzania Profile: People, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Tanzanian Relations