Vác (väts) [key], Ger. Waitzen vĪˈtsən, town (1991 est. pop. 33,858), N central Hungary, on the Danube River. A commercial center producing textiles, footwear, cement, and tools, it is also a favorite summer resort of Budapest residents. Dating from Roman times, Vác was made (1008) a bishopric by St. Stephen. It has an 18th-century cathedral, an episcopal palace, and an 18th-century triumphal arch. The name was formerly spelled Vacz or Vacs.