Vanadzor, city (1989 pop. 75,616), in N Armenia, at the junction of the Pambak, Tandzut, and Vanadzoriget rivers. A rail center and a major chemical producer, it also manufactures textiles and foodstuffs. In 1935 the city was renamed Kirovakan, after Sergey Kirov. The city was devastated by the Armenian earthquake of Dec., 1988. The name Vanadzor was adopted in 1992.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.