Velikiye Luki (vyĭlyēˈkēə lōˈkē) [key], city (1989 pop. 114,000), W central European Russia, on the Lovat River. A railroad junction, it has industries producing rolling stock and foodstuffs. Dating from the 12th cent., the city was controlled first by Novgorod, then by Lithuania, and, from 1448, by Moscow. During the Livonian war it was captured by Stephen Bathory of Poland (1580), who controlled it until 1582.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.