Verde, Cape (vûrd) [key] [Port., = green], Fr. Cap Vert, peninsula, extending into the Atlantic Ocean, W Senegal; the westernmost point of Africa. Dakar is located there. The cape was discovered by the Portuguese in 1445. The Republic of Cape Verde is c.350 mi (560 km) to the west.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cape Verde from Fact Monster:
- Cape Verde - Information on Cape Verde — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Cape Verde - Map of Cape Verde & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Macao: The Portuguese Colonial Empire Comes to An End - Portugal: End of an Empire The Portuguese colonial empire comes to a close by Borgna Brunner On ...
- Cape Verde - Cape Verde Cape Verde , Port. Cabo Verde, officially Republic of Cape Verde, republic (2005 est. ...
- Cape Verde - Cape Verde Profile: Geography, People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Cape Verdean Relations