Veszprém (vĕˈsprām) [key], town (1991 est. pop. 64,277), W Hungary, near the Lake of Balaton. It is a commercial center producing textiles, wine, knitted goods, and foodstuffs. Made a bishopric by St. Stephen in 1001, Veszprém has an 18th-century episcopal palace, a cathedral (rebuilt many times), a former citadel, and a museum containing Roman remains. The tall Turkish minaret is now a fire tower.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Hungarian Political Geography