Villaviciosa (vēˌlyävēthēōˈsä) [key], town (1990 pop. 15,389), Oviedo prov., NW Spain, in Asturias, on the Bay of Biscay. It is a fishing port and tourism center with cider distilleries. Emperor Charles V disembarked in the town (1517) when he first came to Spain. Nearby is the 8th-century Convent of San Salvador de Valdedíos.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography