Willemstad (vĭlˈəmstät) [key], city (1992 pop. 24,235), capital of Curaçao and former capital of the Netherlands Antilles. The city was the commercial and industrial center of the Netherlands Antilles (dissolved in 2010) as well as a free port and tourist center. It is important as a transshipment point and refining center for petroleum sent across the Gulf of Venezuela from Maracaibo; however, the petroleum demand declined in the mid-1980s. Willemstad has a distinctive Dutch character with streets lined by narrow, gabled houses.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Willemstad from Fact Monster:
- Netherlands Antilles - Information on Netherlands Antilles — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Netherlands Antilles - Netherlands Antilles Netherlands Antilles, island group, an autonomous part of the Netherlands ...
- Little League World Series Champions - Little League World Series Champions Year Champion Runner-up Score 1947 Williamsport, Pa. Lock ...
- MEXICO, CENTRAL AMERICA, AND THE CARIBBEAN - From the high, snowy mountains and hot, arid deserts of northern Mexico, south to the lush tropical forests of Nicaragua’s Atlantic coast, this is a r
- Encyclopedia: Caribbean Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Caribbean Political Geography.