York Factory, fur-trading post, NE Man., Canada, on Hudson Bay, at the mouth of the Hayes River, just east of the mouth of the Nelson River. The name was used for several early (late-17th-century) posts in the area, which changed hands during the struggle between England and France for control of the rich fur trade. The British gained final control after the Peace of Utrecht (1713). The present post (built 1788–93) was a major warehouse for the Hudson's Bay Company. It was closed in 1957. In 1968 it became a National Historic Site.