Zarqa or Zerka (both: zärˈkä) [key], in the Bible, river, 80 mi (129 km) long, rising in the hills W of Amman, N Jordan, and flowing generally north, then west, to the Jordan River; it is the ancient Jabbok. On its southern bank Jacob wrestled with the angel.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Zarqa from Fact Monster:
- Jordan, country, Asia - Jordan Jordan, officially Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, kingdom (2005 est. pop. 5,760,000), 35,637 ...
- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - Biography of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, Militant leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq
- Jabbok - Jabbok Jabbok, river, Jordan: see Zarqa.
- Zerka - Zerka Zerka, river, Jordan: see Zarqa.
- the Ghor - Ghor, the Ghor, the, Arabic Al Ghawr, region of the Jordan Valley, c.70 mi (110 km) long, between ...