Zhanjiang or Chankiang (both: jän-jyäng) [key], Cantonese Tsamkong, official Chinese name for the former French territory of Kwangchowan (325 sq mi/840 sq km) on Guangzhou Bay, S Guangdong prov., China. It was leased from China in 1898 for 99 years but was returned in 1945. Its chief city, Fort-Bayard, was renamed Zhanjiang (1994 est. pop. 491,800) and since 1955 has been developed as a major seaport, servicing ships up to 10,000 tons, and as a regional trade center. The city, which is a special economic development zone, has textile, chemical, shipbuilding, sugar refining, and electric power industries, and is linked by rail to Guangxi prov. The name sometimes appears as Chan-chiang.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.