The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag1
1. The original pledge was published in the Sept. 8, 1892, issue of The Youth's Companion in Boston. For years, the authorship was in dispute between James B. Upham and Francis Bellamy of the magazine's staff. In 1939, after a study of the controversy, the United States Flag Association decided that authorship be credited to Bellamy.
2. The phrase “under God” was added to the pledge on June 14, 1954.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag from Fact Monster: