Althea GibsonBorn: Aug. 25, 1927
won both Wimbledon and U.S. championships in 1957 and '58; 1st black to play in either tourney and 1st to win each title.Died: Sept. 28, 2003
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Althea Gibson from Fact Monster:
- Althea Gibson - Gibson, Althea Gibson, Althea , 1927–2003, African-American tennis player, b. Silver, S.C. In ...
- Althea Gibson - Biography of Althea Gibson, The first black woman to win the U.S. Open
- Serena Williams - Serena Williams Born: Sept. 26, 1981 Tennis beat Martina Hingis for 1999 U.S. Open championship to ...
- Timeline: Women in Sports - From Mt. Olympus to Cooperstown, N.Y.
- This Day in History: July 6 - July 6 1535 Sir Thomas More was beheaded after refusing to join Henry VIII's Church of England. ...