George GershwincomposerBorn: 9/26/1898Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York
Pulitzer Prize-winning composer known for his popular songs and orchestral compositions. His works, which often combined jazz and folk rhythms, include “Swanee” (1919), Rhapsody in Blue (1924) and Porgy and Bess (1935). His brother was
Ira GershwinlyricistBorn: 12/6/1896Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York
George's brother, he often wrote the lyrics to George's songs.Died: 8/17/1983 Died: 7/11/1937
More on George Gershwin from Fact Monster:
- George Gershwin - Gershwin, George Gershwin, George , 1898–1937, American composer, b. Brooklyn, N.Y., as Jacob ...
- George Gershwin - Biography of George Gershwin, Composer of Rhapsody in Blue
- DuBose Heyward - Heyward, DuBose Heyward, DuBose , 1885–1940, American author, b. Charleston, S.C. His first ...
- This Day in History: October 10 - October 10 1845 The U.S. Naval Academy opened in Annapolis, Md. 1886 The tuxedo dinner jacket made ...
- Oscar Hammerstein II - Biography of Oscar Hammerstein II, Co-writer of Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music