Joan Didionjournalist, novelist
Birthplace: Sacramento, California
Journalist and novelist who worked as a features editor at Vogue (1956–63) before becoming a freelance writer. She's best known for her essays that combined highly personal commentary with an apocalyptic view of American politics and culture. Collections of her magazine essays include Slouching Toward Bethlehem (1968) and The White Album (1979). Her critically acclaimed novels include Play It As It Lays (1970) and A Book of Common Prayer (1977). She has collaborated on newspaper columns and screenplays with her late husband John Gregory Dunne, whom she married in 1964.
More on Joan Didion from Fact Monster:
- Joan Didion - Didion, Joan Didion, Joan , 1934–, American writer, b. Sacramento, Calif., grad. Univ. of ...
- Sacramento, Calif. - Information on Sacramento, Calif. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Information Please: 1977 - 1977 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science | Deaths ...
- December 5 Birthdays: George Armstrong Custer - December 5 birthdays: George Armstrong Custer, Frankie Muniz, Little Richard, Joan Didion, Otto Preminger, Strom Thurmond, Martin Van Buren, Bill Pickett, Christina Rossetti, Walt Disney
- Selected Biographies: D - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters