Redd Foxx(John Elroy Sanford)comedian, actorBorn: 12/9/1922Birthplace: St. Louis, Missouri
African-American comedian who made his mark in the TV smash Sanford and Son (1972–77) after many years of odd jobs and short stretches on the night club circuit, including a kitchen job with Malcolm Little who would later be known as Malcolm X. Foxx hit it big in Las Vegas in 1968, but didn't make the celluloid jump until the 1970 film Cotton Comes to Harlem. The role brought him to the attention of producers Bud Yorkin and Norman Lear who decided to cast Foxx in Sanford and Son, his first major success. The show was followed by others, including The Redd Foxx Comedy Hour (1977–78) and the Redd Foxx Show (1986). He later co-edited The Redd Foxx Encyclopedia of Black Humor (1977).Died: 10/11/1991
More on Redd Foxx from Fact Monster:
- Sinbad - Sinbad (David Adkins) actor, comedian, producer Born: 11/10/1956 Birthplace: Benton Harbor, ...
- St. Louis, Mo. - Information on St. Louis, Mo. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Missouri - Information on Missouri — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Selected Biographies: F - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters
- 500 Famous African American Biographies (A–Z) - Notable African-Americans Aaliyah–Ewing | Farmer–Innis | Jackson–Ludacris | ...