Pete Townshendmusician; composerBorn: 5/19/1945Birthplace: London, England
Townshend is one of the founding members of the rock group The Who. Their main songwriter, he is also the composer of the original rock opera Tommy, which was recorded by The Who in 1969, was made into a movie in 1975, and won Townshend a Tony for his musical score when produced on stage in 1993. His other operas are Quadrophenia (1973) and Psychoderelict (1993). His solo albums include White City (1985) and Empty Glass (1980). He has worked as an editor at Faber and Faber and is the author of a book of short stories, Horse's Neck (1993).
More on Pete Townshend from Fact Monster:
- The Who - The Who rock band One of the seminal rock bands of the 1960s and 1970s. Roger Daltrey on vocals, ...
- Pete Townshend - Biography of Pete Townshend, Guitarist and songwriter for The Who
- Ronnie Lane - Ronnie Lane rock musician Born: 4/1/1946 Birthplace: London, England Bass player for the groups ...
- Nina Simone - Biography of Nina Simone, Eclectic singer of "I Loves You Porgy" and "Mississippi Goddam"
- May 19 Birthdays: Malcolm X - May 19 birthdays: Malcolm X, Pete Townshend, Nora Ephron, Ho Chi Minh, Johns Hopkins, Lorraine Hansberry, Nancy Astor