Luis Walter AlvarezBorn: 1911Birthplace: San Francisco, Calif.
Radio distance and direction indicator—Alvarez was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1968. He helped design a ground-controlled radar system for aircraft landings and with his son developed the meteorite theory of dinosaur extinction. (1978)Died: 1988
More on Luis Walter Alvarez from Fact Monster:
- Luis Walter Alvarez - Alvarez, Luis Walter Alvarez, Luis Walter, 1911–88, American physicist, b. San Francisco, ...
- Hispanic American Scientists - Notable Hispanic American scientists
- Hispanic American Biographies, A-Z - Notable Hispanic American athletes, actors, and more.
- San Francisco, Calif. - Information on San Francisco, Calif. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Information Please: 1968 - 1968 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science | Deaths ...