Ernest Orlando LawrenceBorn: 1901
Birthplace: Canton, So. Dakota
Method and apparatus for the acceleration of ions—Lawrence's cyclotron enabled him to study the structure of the atom, transmute certain elements, and produce artificial radioactivity. His research included the use of radiation in biology and medicine and he helped isolate uranium 235 which was used in the first atomic bomb. Lawrence received the 1939 Nobel Prize for Physics. (1982)Died: 1958
More on Ernest Orlando Lawrence from Fact Monster:
- Ernest Orlando Lawrence - Lawrence, Ernest Orlando Lawrence, Ernest Orlando, 1901–58, American physicist, b. Canton, S. ...
- James Rainwater - Rainwater, James Rainwater, James, 1917–86, American physicist, Ph.D. Columbia, 1946. After ...
- Ernest O. Lawrence - Biography of Ernest O. Lawrence, Nobel Prize-winning inventor of the cyclotron
- South Dakota - Information on South Dakota — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Information Please: 1939 - 1939 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science Year by ...