Eli WhitneyBorn: 1765
Birthplace: Westboro, Mass.
Cotton gin—Whitney invented the cotton gin, a machine that greatly increased the speed for separating the cotton from its pod and seeds and to clean it. Whitney also adopted the concept of interchangeable parts in manufacturing. (1974)Died: 1825
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Eli Whitney from Fact Monster:
- Eli Whitney - Whitney, Eli Whitney, Eli, 1765–1825, American inventor of the cotton gin, b. Westboro, ...
- December 8 Birthdays: Eli Whitney - December 8 birthdays: Eli Whitney, Lee J. Cobb, Jean Sibelius, Aristide Maillol, Mary, Queen of Scots, Christina, William C. Durant, Sinead O'Connor, Teri Hatcher, Kim Basinger, Jim Morrison, David Carradine, Sammy Davis, Jr., James Thurber, Diego Rivera
- Eli Whitney - Biography of Eli Whitney, Inventor of the cotton gin
- Westborough - Westborough Westborough, town (1990 pop. 14,133), Worcester co., E central Mass., on the Assabet ...
- Hamden - Hamden Hamden, town (1990 pop. 52,434), New Haven co., S Conn.; inc. 1786. The town, settled ...