- In ancient times gloves were worn to protect working hands.
- In the Middle Ages gloves were worn as a sign of wealth and power. Common people wore mittens.
- In the nineteenth century, society women and men wore gloves indoors and out. Black silk gloves were worn indoors during the daytime; white gloves were worn out at night.
Many social customs involved gloves.
- Gloves were surrendered as a forfeit for an error or a crime.
- Gloves were given as party favors at weddings.
- Knights in armor carried gloves as talismans in their helmets during tournaments. The gloves belonged to a loved one.
- Gloves were used as a pledge.
- Gloves were thrown down as a challenge.
More on Gloves from Fact Monster:
- glove - glove glove, hand covering with a separate sheath for each finger. The earliest gloves, relics of ...
- Healthy Habits - Healthy Habits Wash your hands before eating. Germs are spread more easily from your hands than, ...
- Standard Measurements in Sports - Standard Measurements in Sports Here you can find the standard measurements used in baseball, ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) COLD CUTS : SANDWICH :: _____ : glove Hint hand smooth clothing Word Quiz ...
- boxing: Amateur Boxing - Amateur Boxing Amateur boxing, while not free from debate, has in recent decades taken steps to ...