Amazing Language Facts
- There are more than 2,700 languages in the world. In addition, there are more than 7,000 dialects. A dialect is a regional variety of a language that has a different pronunciation, vocabulary, or meaning.
- The most difficult language to learn is Basque, which is spoken in northwestern Spain and southwestern France. It is not related to any other language in the world. It has an extremely complicated word structure and vocabulary.
- All pilots on international flights identify themselves in English.
- Somalia is the only African country in which the entire population speaks the same language, Somali.
- The language in which a government conducts business is the official language of that country.
- More than 1,000 different languages are spoken on the continent of Africa.
- Many languages in Africa include a “click” sound that is pronounced at the same time as other sounds. You must learn these languages in childhood to do it properly.
More on Amazing Language Facts from Fact Monster:
- Books, language, mythology, grammar, spelling, punctuation, writing, Harry Potter - Information about spelling and grammar, facts about writers and characters, book awards, mythology, and more