The longest war in U.S. history involved not weapons and warfare but words and ideas. Beginning in 1945, this war was a struggle between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. The U.S. wanted to contain the spread of communist control. The Cold War ended in 1990 with the collapse of communism in the USSR.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Cold War from Fact Monster:
- The Cold War - The Cold War 1945 1945 Soviet army marches into Berlin; the German capital city falls. World War II ...
- Bombers: Boeing B-52 - More than fifty years later, it's still flying
- Fighter Planes: MiG-15 - The air power of the Evil Empire
- The Berlin Wall - The Berlin Wall A look back at the fall of Communism and Soviet influence The Berlin Wall RELATED ...
- The Berlin Wall (1961–1990) - The Berlin Wall (1961–1990) Major anti-Communist riots broke out in East Berlin in June 1953 ...