- Enclose words or passages in quoted matter to indicate insertion of material written by someone other than the author: A tough but nervous, tenacious but restless race [the Yankees]; materially ambitious, yet prone to introspection. …—Samuel Eliot Morison
- Enclose material inserted within matter already in parentheses: (Vancouver [B.C.] January 1, 19—).
See also: Parentheses and Brackets.
More on Brackets from Fact Monster:
- brackets - brackets: brackets: see punctuation.
- bracket fungi - bracket fungi: bracket fungi: see Fungi.
- punctuation - punctuation punctuation [Lat.,=point], the use of special signs in writing to clarify how words are ...
- Punctuation: Parentheses and Brackets: Bosom Buddies - Punctuation Parentheses and Brackets: Bosom Buddies Punctuation Punctuation Matters Period, ...
- Fungi - Fungi Fungi , kingdom of heterotrophic single-celled, multinucleated, or multicellular organisms, ...