- Introduces words, phrases, or clauses that explain, amplify, or summarize what has gone before: Suddenly I realized where we were: Rome. “There are two cardinal sins from which all the others spring: impatience and laziness.”—Franz Kafka
- Introduces a long quotation: In his original draft of the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson wrote: “We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable; that all men are created equal and independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent and inalienable…”
- Introduces a list: We need the following items: pens, paper, pencils, blotters, and erasers.
- Separates chapter and verse numbers in Biblical references: James 1:4.
- Separates city from publisher in footnotes and bibliographies: Chicago: Riverside Press, 1983.
- Separates hour and minute(s) in time designations: 9:30 a.m., a 9:30 meeting.
- Follows the salutation in a business letter: Sir or Madam:
See also: The Colon.
More on Colon from Fact Monster:
- colonization - colonization colonization, extension of political and economic control over an area by a state ...
- Colón, city, Cuba - Colón Colón , city (1994 est. pop. 44,000), Matanzas prov., W central Cuba. It is a ...
- Colón, city, Panama - Colón Colón, city (1990 pop. 140,908), Panama, at the Caribbean end of the Panama ...
- Rafael Hernández Colón - Hernández Colón, Rafael Hernández Colón, Rafael , 1936–, governor ...
- intestine - intestine intestine, muscular hoselike portion of the gastrointestinal tract extending from the ...