- Terminates a complete declarative or mild imperative sentence: There could be no turning back as war's dark shadow settled irrevocably across the continent of Europe.—W. Bruce Lincoln. Return all the books when you can. Would you kindly affix your signature here.
- Terminates sentence fragments: Gray clouds—and what looks like a veil of rain falling behind the East German headland. A pair of ducks. A tired or dying swan, head buried in its back feathers, sits on the sand a few feet from the water's edge.—Anthony Bailey
- Follows some abbreviations: Dec., Rev., St., Blvd., pp., Co.
See also: Period, Question Mark, Exclamation Mark: The End of the Line.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Period from Fact Monster:
- period, in grammar - period: period: see punctuation.
- harmonic motion - harmonic motion harmonic motion, regular vibration in which the acceleration of the vibrating ...
- wave, in physics - wave wave, in physics, the transfer of energy by the regular vibration, or oscillatory motion, ...
- Interactive Periodic Table - Use the interactive Periodic Table to learn about all of the known elements, from hydrogen to ununpentium.
- sidereal period - sidereal period sidereal period, in astronomy, length of time a body takes to complete an orbit ...