Alice CoachmanBorn: Nov. 9, 1923
Track & Field
became the first black woman to win an Olympic gold medal with her win in the high jump in 1948 (London); broke the high school and college high jump records despite not wearing any shoes; member of the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.
More on Alice Coachman from Fact Monster:
- Timeline: Women in Sports - From Mt. Olympus to Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Track & Field - Track & Field Men Event Time 100m Harrison Dillard, USA 10.3 =OR Norwood Ewell, USA 10.4 Lloyd ...
- Famous Firsts by African Americans (Inventors, Government, Law, Literature, Film) /title> - List of famous African Americans firsts in government, law, and more.
- 500 Famous African American Biographies (A–Z) - Notable African-Americans Aaliyah–Ewing | Farmer–Innis | Jackson–Ludacris | ...
- Track and Field–Women - Track and Field–Women 100-Meter Dash 1928 Elizabeth Robinson, United States 12.20 1932 Stella ...