Jessye Normanopera singer
Birthplace: Augusta, Georgia
Known for her stage presence, vocal range, and her ability to convey emotion, Jessye Norman is one of the world's most respected opera singers. In 1969 Norman debuted as Elisabeth in Richard Wagner's Tannhäuser in Berlin. Other notable roles include the title role in Aïda, Cassandra in Berlioz's Les Troyens, as well as roles in Alceste, Erwartung (Anxiety), and Les Dialogues des Carmelites (The Dialogues of the Carmelites). In addition to her operatic performances, Norman has performed recitals, singing arias, art songs, and spirituals.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Jessye Norman from Fact Monster:
- Jessye Norman - Norman, Jessye Norman, Jessye, 1945–, American soprano, b. Augusta, Ga. Making her early ...
- Bill Blass - Bill Blass Born: 6/22/1922 Birthplace: Fort Wayne, Ind fashion designer known for his classic yet ...
- Singing Voices - Singing Voices A singing voice is classified by how high or low a performer naturally sings. Male ...
- Georgia - Information on Georgia — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Black Musicians - The following list includes African-American singers, composers, rappers, pianists, and other musicians who have contributed to the world of music, including Count Basie, Akon, Natalie Cole, Missy Elliot, Duke Ellington, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, and more.