Birthplace: Tulsa, Oklahoma
One of America's most prominent black intellectuals, West earned a BA from Harvard University and his MA and PhD degrees from Princeton University. He taught religion and directed the Afro-American Studies Department at Princeton prior to joining the Harvard faculty in 1994 and returned to the Princeton Department of Religion in 2002. His first scholarly book Prophesy Deliverance! An Afro-American Revolutionary Christianity (1982), sought to fuse Christianity and Marxism. Among his other 12 books are Beyond Eurocentrism and Multiculturalism (1993); and Race Matters (1993).
More on Cornel West from Fact Monster:
- Lawrence Summers - Biography of Lawrence Summers, Director of the U.S. National Economic Council, 2009-present
- Bell Hooks - Biography of Bell Hooks, Black feminist critic of "white supremacist capitalist patriarchy"
- June 2 Birthdays: Martha Washington - June 2 birthdays: Martha Washington, Barbara Pym, Freddy Adu, John Randolph, Thomas Hardy, Cornel West, Sir Edward William Elgar, Johnny Weissmuller
- Famous African American Quotations (Ali, Andrew Young, Angelou, Du Bois, King Jr.) - African-American Quotations From Muhammad Ali to Andrew Young Compiled by Ann Marie Imbornoni Try ...
- 500 Famous African American Biographies (A–Z) - Notable African-Americans Aaliyah–Ewing | Farmer–Innis | Jackson–Ludacris | ...