One decimal place to the left of the decimal point is the ones place. One decimal place to the right of the decimal place is the tenths place.
Keep your eye on the 9 to see where the decimal places fall.
|hundred thousands || 900,000.0 |
|ten thousands || 90,000.0|
|thousands|| 9,000.0 |
|ten thousandths|| 0.0009|
|hundred thousandths|| 0.00009|
Adding and Subtracting Decimals
To add or subtract decimals, line up the decimal points and use zeros to fill in the blanks:
9 - 2.67 =
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2008 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Decimal Places from Fact Monster:
- decimal system - decimal system decimal system [Lat.,=of tenths], numeration system based on powers of 10. A number ...
- Converting Fractions, Decimals, and Percents - Converting fractions, decimals, and percents formulas and examples.
- calculator: Mechanical and Electromechanical Calculators - Mechanical and Electromechanical Calculators Early devices used to aid in calculation include the ...
- Scientific Notation - Scientific Notation Sometimes, especially when you are using a calculator, you may come up with a ...
- pi - pi pi, in mathematics, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. The symbol for ...