The Branches of Science
The Physical Sciences
- Physics: The study of matter and energy and the interactions between them. Physicists study such subjects as gravity, light, and time. Albert Einstein, a famous physicist, developed the Theory of Relativity.
- Chemistry: The science that deals with the composition, properties, reactions, and the structure of matter. The chemist Louis Pasteur, for example, discovered pasteurization, which is the process of heating liquids such as milk and orange juice to kill harmful germs.
- Astronomy: The study of the universe beyond the Earth's atmosphere.
- See also: Chemistry Science Projects for Beginners, Chemistry Science Projects: Intermediate-Level, and Chemistry Science Projects: Advanced-Level
- See also: Physical Science Projects for Beginners, Physical Science Projects: Intermediate-Level, and Physical Science Projects: Advanced-Level
The Earth Sciences
- Geology: The science of the origin, history, and structure of the Earth, and the physical, chemical, and biological changes that it has experienced or is experiencing.
- Oceanography: The exploration and study of the ocean.
- Paleontology: The science of the forms of life that existed in prehistoric or geologic periods.
- Meteorology: The science that deals with the atmosphere and its phenomena, such as weather and climate.
See also: Earth Science Projects for Beginners, Earth Science Projects: Intermediate-Level, and Earth Science Projects: Advanced-Level
The Life Sciences (Biology)
- Botany: The study of plants.
- Zoology: The science that covers animals and animal life.
- Genetics: The study of heredity.
- Medicine: The science of diagnosing, treating, and preventing illness, disease, and injury.
See also: Biology Science Projects for Beginners, Biology Science Projects: Intermediate-Level, and Biology Science Projects: Advanced-Level
See also: Botany Science Projects for Beginners, Botany Science Projects: Intermediate-Level, and Botany Science Projects: Advanced-Level
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Branches of Science from Fact Monster:
- chemistry - chemistry chemistry, branch of science concerned with the properties, composition, and structure of ...
- astronomy - astronomy astronomy, branch of science that studies the motions and natures of celestial bodies, ...
- thermodynamics - thermodynamics thermodynamics, branch of science concerned with the nature of heat and its ...
- meteorology - meteorology meteorology, branch of science that deals with the atmosphere of a planet, particularly ...
- physics - physics physics, branch of science traditionally defined as the study of matter, energy, and the ...