Christiaan Barnardpioneering heart surgeon
Birthplace: Beaufort West, South Africa
South African heart surgeon who made medical history on Dec. 3, 1967, when he performed the first human-to-human heart transplant. Barnard also designed artificial heart valves and developed advanced surgical procedures for organ transplants. He was a vociferous antiapartheid activist who created a frenzy in 1968 when he transplanted the heart of a mixed-race man into a white dentist.Died: Paphos, Cyprus, 9/2/2001
More on Christiaan Barnard from Fact Monster:
- Dr. Christiaan Barnard - Biography of Dr. Christiaan Barnard, The doctor who performed the first heart transplant
- Groote Schuur - Groote Schuur Groote Schuur [Afrik.,=large barn], estate, Cape Town, Western Cape, SW South Africa. ...
- November 8 Birthdays: Edmond Halley - November 8 birthdays: Edmond Halley, Parker Posey, Bonnie Raitt, Martha Gellhorn , Christiaan Barnard, Margaret Mitchell, Bram Stoker
- medical transplantation: History - History Human tissue grafting was first performed in 1870 by a Swiss surgeon, Jacques Reverdin. In ...
- surgery: Surgery in the Twentieth Century - Surgery in the Twentieth Century In the 20th cent., surgery has benefited from an improved ...