Waste Not, Water Not
Here are some simple ways you and your family can cut back on water use:
- Don't pour water down the drain. Instead, use it to water your plants or garden.
- Fix dripping faucets. One drop per second wastes 2,700 gallons of water per year!
- Take shorter showers and turn off the water while you lather up.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or washing your face.
- Run dishwashers only when they are fully loaded. The light-wash feature uses less water.
- When hand-washing dishes, use two containers-one with soapy water for washing and the other with plain water for rinsing.
- Don't water your lawn too much. Grass only needs to be watered about once a week in the summer. Lawns can go two weeks without water after a heavy rain.
- Make sure sprinklers-if you must use them-are aimed at grass and plants, not on pavement or houses.
- Don't use outside water toys that require a constant flow of water.