Twelve astronauts have walked on the moon, the last in 1972. Here are the names of those astronauts listed chronologically by the date of their walk.
|July 20, 1969—Apollo 11||Neil Armstrong|
| Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin|
|Nov. 19, 1969—Apollo 12||Charles (Pete) Conrad |
|Feb. 5, 1971—Apollo 14||Alan Shepard |
|Edgar Mitchell |
|July 30, 1971—Apollo 15||James Irwin |
|Apr. 21-23, 1972—Apollo 16||Charles Duke |
|John Young |
|Dec. 11-13, 1972—Apollo 17||Eugene Cernan |
|Harrison Schmitt |
Eugene Cernan was the last man to set foot on the moon. He and Schmitt left behind a plaque that reads: “Here Man completed his first exploration of the Moon, December 1972 A.D. May the spirit of peace in which we came be reflected in the lives of all mankind.” This was a companion to the plaque left by Armstrong and Aldrin on the first visit to the lunar surface: “Here Men From Planet Earth First Set Foot Upon the Moon. July 1969 A.D. We Came in Peace For All Mankind.”
More on Moon Walks from Fact Monster:
- Apollo 11 - Anniversary - Apollo 11 July 20 marks the anniversary of man's first walk on the moon by Ricco Villanueva ...
- 1960 – 1969 World History - 1960 – 1969 World History Robert Frost (1874–1963) Archive Photos John H. Glenn, Jr. ...
- Buzz Aldrin - Aldrin, Buzz Aldrin, Buzz (Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr.), 1930–, American astronaut, b. ...
- Buzz Aldrin - Biography of Buzz Aldrin, The second man on the moon
- January 20 Birthdays: Buzz Aldrin - January 20 birthdays: Buzz Aldrin, David Lynch, DeForest Kelley, Joy Adamson, George Burns, Walter Piston, Richard Henry Lee, Federico Fellini