Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan
A lawyer and former assistant to Rep. John Dingell, Conyers was first elected to Congress in 1964. He was the first black to chair the House Judiciary Committee. He was the ranking Democrat on the committee when the Republicans controlled Congress from 1995–2006 and returned to the chairman's position after the 2006 election restored Democratic control.
More on John Conyers from Fact Monster:
- John CONYERS, Jr. - CONYERS, John, Jr. (1929—) CONYERS, John, Jr., a Representative from Michigan; born in ...
- Rosa Louise Parks - Parks, Rosa Louise Parks, Rosa Louise, 1913–2005, American civil-rights activist, b. ...
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Holiday - Who originated the idea of a national holiday in honor of MLK?
- Baseball Contraction Timeline - Timeline of 2001 events
- African Americans in the 111th Congress (House of Representatives & Congress) - African Americans in the 111th Congress A list of the African-Americans currently serving in the ...