Earth is not perfectly round; it bulges at the equator and is flatter at the poles. From space the planet looks blue with white swirls, created by water and clouds.
- Size: Four planets in our solar system are larger and four are smaller than Earth
- Diameter: 7,926.2 miles (12,756 km)
- Surface: Earth is made up of water (70%), air, and solid ground. It appears to be the only planet with water
- Atmosphere: Nitrogen (78%), oxygen (21%), other gases
- Rotation of its axis: 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds
- Rotation around the Sun: 365.2 days
- Satellites: 1
- Mean Distance from Sun: 92.9 million miles (149.6 million km)
- Rings: 0
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Planets - Earth from Fact Monster:
- Recipe for Planet Earth - Recipe for Planet Earth Ingredients: 1 part hydrosphere (the earth's water) 1 part lithosphere ...
- PLANET EARTH - Planet Earth is a dense, rocky ball about 7,920 miles (12,750 km) across. It is one of nine planets circling our local star, the Sun. Earth is the onl
- PLANET EARTH - The rocky ball that forms our world is one of nine planets in the Solar System. Earth is a sphere, with a slight bulge in the middle at the Equator, a
- The Planets - Earth - Earth Earth is not perfectly round; it bulges at the equator and is flatter at the poles. From ...
- Carlos Noriega - Carlos Noriega Astronaut Born: 10/8/1959 Birthplace: Lima, Peru Astronaut Carlos Noriega had a ...