Milestones in Transportation
On (and Under) the Water
Most people think Robert Fulton invented the steamboat. But in fact,
John Fitch, an American, built and operated a steamboat on the Delaware
River in 1787, but his passenger business failed. Fulton's steamboat, the
North River, later known as the Clermont after its port
town, was financially successful in 1807 and became famous.
Library of Congress
- Reed boats are made in Egypt.
- Sailing ships are made in Mesopotamia.
- Oar-powered ships sail Eastern Mediterranean seas.
- The rudder is invented in China.
- The submarine is invented in the Netherlands.
- The steamboat is invented in America.
- The passenger steamboat is invented in the United States.
- The modern submarine is invented in the United States.
- The hydroplane is invented in the United States.
- The Titanic is built in England.
- The hovercraft is built in England.
- Clayton Jacobsen introduces the Jet-ski and Kawasaki begins production of the vehicle for public sale.
- The “Chunnel” opens, linking France and England with
rail service and a tunnel for passenger cars.
- To meet increased demand for cruise ships, Freedom of the Seas is introduced and becomes the largest cruise liner ever. It has 18 decks and can carry 4,000 passengers.
- Expected delivery of Royal Caribbean's "Project Genesis," which will be 43% larger than any other cruise ship, weighing 220,000 tons and carrying 5,400 passengers.
Information from The International Herald Tribune
For more inventions, see Inventions & Discoveries.
More on Milestones in Transportation from Fact Monster:
- Milestones in Transportation - Milestones in Transportation On the Rails Wikipedia 1769 The steam engine is invented in Scotland. ...
- Milestones in Transportation - Milestones in Transportation In the Air photostogo.com IMSI Master Clips 1783 The hot-air balloon ...
- Milestones in Transportation - Milestones in Transportation On the Road Most people think Henry Ford invented the automobile. But ...
- Milestones in Transportation - Milestones in Transportation On (and Under) the Water Most people think Robert Fulton invented the ...
- Timeline Archive - A collection of all timelines on the site—categories include World History, U.S., Countries, Entertainment, Sports, War, Health & Science, and more