- Malay (Malaysia and Indonesia)
- amuck (or amok)
- cockatoo, from Malay kakatua, via Dutch.
- gingham, borrowed from Malay into Dutch (ginggang), and from Dutch into English.
- ketchup, from kicap, meaning "fish sauce."
- launch, a type of boat.
- orangutan, from orang, meaning "man" and hutan, "wilderness, jungle."
- paddy, from padi, meaning "rice, rice field."
- Tagalog (northern Philippines)
- boondocks, from bundok, meaning "mountain." During the U.S. occupation of the Philippines, the word was adopted by American soldiers, who used it to refer to any far-off or wild place. Later it passed into the general vocabulary.